Touring Chorus is available for students 7th grade and up. This ensemble demonstrates exceptional musical skills and superior standards of professionalism. Choristers will concentrate on learning more advanced sight singing skills and retain complex melodic, harmonic and rhythmic material. They exhibit superior vocal abilities, musicality, and emotional maturity.
This ensemble commits to two hour rehearsals twice a week in order to prepare for prestigious national and international performances, with groups such as the Lyric Opera of Chicago, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Grant Park Orchestra, Music of the Baroque, and Chicago Sinfonietta.
Advanced Ensemble By Audition Only
2020 – 2021 Season
- Tuesday Rehearsals:
- 6:15-6:45pm (treble voices only)
- 6:45-8:00pm (treble and changed voices)
- 8:00-8:30pm (Chamber Chorus)
- Sunday Rehearsals:
- 3:45-5:30pm (treble voices only)
- 4:30-5:30pm (treble and changed voices)
- 5:30-6:15pm (Chamber Chorus)
- All changed Touring Chorus voices and a select group auditioned from Touring Chorus trebles in grades 10-12.
- Repertoire is usually a cappella and often performed without conductor to encourage additional ensemble skill and student leadership
Touring Chorus Curriculum (Advanced, Twice-A-Week Practice; Primarily Grades 7 – 12)
- Continued refinement of vocal skills, including an expanded singing range and technical ability in service of phrasing, dynamic contrast, breath control, and language mastery
- Ability to sing in three, four, or more parts, including commissioned works and non-tonal works
- Sight Singing using moveable do for major keys, “la” or do/based minor keys, and intervallic reading for non-tonal works or rapidly shifting tonalities
- Demonstrated understanding of all major key signatures, relative and parallel minors
- The ability to read and count more complex rhythms in more complex meters
- Demonstrated understanding of musical concepts as related to musical form and performance practice
- Demonstration of superior musical skills and professional standards
- Love of music as an expressive, artistic medium and life force
- Two major concerts, with Treble and Concert ensembles: December and May
- Summer touring –national or international and/or performance opportunities at Ravinia, Millennium Park, etc.
- 6 – 10 additional performances throughout the season